“Enjoyed hearing best practices from employers sharing their success.” L.E.
“I loved this! Thank you for great information!” L.G.
“Great event! Good mix of educational and promotional content.” I.A.
By Heidi Dirkse-Graw and Cindy Bahl
Above are some of the hash tags and pieces of feedback that exemplify the focus at the Amplify Rock Stars event on the morning of May 31, 2018 at Embassy Suites by Hilton, Washington Square-Portland-Tigard. Employers and community partners gathered to celebrate employers who, over the course of the last seven months, have taken tangible steps and exemplified passion to focus on several important questions:
- “What does it take for an employer to build a diverse and inclusive workforce that sees Ability vs. Disability when considering job applicants with disabilities?
- “How can employers meet business needs by identifying job tasks within their organization that match the talents, skills and abilities of job seekers with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities?”
- “What steps can an organization take to promote hiring and inclusion of individuals with disabilities in the workplace?”
During the event attendees got inspired from success stories, learning about best practice models from a workforce panel and hearing from Jeff Akin, a guest employer, who inspired and challenged the 70 people in the room with his humor and stories of disability inclusion success. He encouraged attendees to continue to “amp-up” their disability diversity initiatives and take the “Oregon Disability Diversity Challenge,” focused on helping employers take their next step forward in disability employment.
And, of course, we celebrated the, “Amplify Rock Stars,” those employers who took the challenge back in October 2017 at the inaugural AmplifySuccess! Event at Nike WHQ. The following employers were recognized:
- Fred Meyer, Raleigh Hills, Leupold & Stevens & Oregon Health & Science University were acknowledged for providing employment opportunities through their inclusive hiring initiatives.
- Embassy Suites by Hilton, Washington Square-Portland-Tigard was honored for implementing Project Search, a 9-week internship program for individuals who experience disabilities that will provide on-site training, develop job skills and a pipeline of candidates for not only Embassy Suites, but other employers as well.
- Boys & Girls Club of Portland, The City of Beaverton, The Department of Human services; Imaging Records Management and Jama Software were all acknowledged for engaging with Dirkse CC who provided on-site Disability Inclusion and Employment Training to enhance their workplace culture.
If you missed the event, it is not too late for YOU to “amp up”! What are your next steps? We are here to help. Please contact Cindy Bahl, Business Development Manager at: 503-258-7715 or firstname.lastname@example.org to start the conversation.
SAVE THE DATE
2nd Annual Amplify Success! Event at Nike WHQ – October 18, 2018!
Event Sponsors were also acknowledged and recognized because an event like this could not happen without the support of our generous community.